Wednesday, April 04, 2007

So supposedly tonight's episode of LOST will again center around the Sawyer-Kate-Jack love triangle (by Jack I mean Matthew Fox aka Charlie from Party of Five). LOST has definitely been struggling this season, in large part because they focused on the characters in the triangle, but not enough of the triangle itself. You see, the triangle actually anchors the show. It is it the axis upon which the other characters revolve.

So I have this theory. I called it "The Triangle Theory of Prime Time Drama." Basically, the theory is that primetime dramas need a love triangle to be compelling. LOST has Sawyer-Kate-Jack. Dawson's Creek has Dawson-Joey-Pacey. Felicity had Ben-Felicity-Noel. And 90210, the greatest all the shows, had the genius of the rotating triangles: Brenda-Dylan-Kelly followed by Dylan-Kelly-Brandon. 90210 was so brilliant because it incorporated Val to form other mini triangles which were also compelling: Val-David-Donna, Val-Dylan-Kelly, Val-Brandon-Kelly. Val practically existed to be in mini triangles with Kelly.

Meanwhile, The O.C. had no triangle. It just had two central couples who would fight, break up, and get back together again. This is why the show failed. As funny as Seth and Sandy were, they couldn't keep it afloat. If Seth had hooked up with Marissa and Ryan with Summer, different story.

Anyways, I think there's a lot of truth to this theory. Maybe I should send it to Bill Simmons.

3 Comments:

At 6:29 AM , Blogger Clara said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:29 AM , Blogger Clara said...

You watched "Felicity"? Bwahahahahahahahaha. Actually, so did my (male) dentist.

 
At 2:10 PM , Blogger Dave said...

Felicity was actually one of the more compelling shows on television, at least in its first two seasons. My parents loved it because at first at actually showed students studying, rather than just fucking each other. I appreciated the studying, though believe a healthy dose of studying and sex is appropriate. Incidentally, this is the same problem my mom has with Grey's Anatomy, too much sex, not enough healing. My problem with Grey's Anatomy is that there are no Jewish doctors on the show, making it more unrealisic than Buffy the Vampire Slayer. But I digress. Back to Felicity. The battle of the Scotts (Speedman, the Canadian one, and Foley, the one with the shnozz) was always fascinating. Felicity herself always sort of annoyed me. Also, Amy Jo Johnson, originally of Might Morphin Power Rangers fame, was spectacular as Julie. I once bumped into a Amy Jo Johnson right near my house in Montreal. This was a great moment for humankind. But that, as Conan's chronicler would say, "is another story."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home