Wednesday, July 05, 2006

So on July 1st, it was Canada Day. Woohoo. This was easily the least celebrated Canada Day I've ever witnessed. Of course, i am in Quebec, and many Quebeckers don't consider themselves Canadian at all. The week before, it was St. Jean Baptiste Day, Quebec's "national" holiday, and there were Quebecois flags everywhere, but no Canadian ones. But Canada Day was even more incredible. That morning, England played Portugal in soccer. I watched in a neighbourhood in the Plateau with a lot of Portuguese people. There were hundreds of Portuguese flags, but no Canadian ones. But that's sort of what I like about Canada. Our nationalism is so weak, that we allow ethnicities to maintain their ethnic pride. I've always felt way more Jewish than Canadian, and that's a good thing,and I'm glad Canada allows me to do that.

1 Comments:

At 3:18 PM , Blogger Seth Ross said...

Hey Buddy, I was in Little Italy in Toronto for the World Cup Finals, and I have to say the atmosphere was electric.
A funny thought occured to me though, while most major cities have areas called "Little Italy", "Little Portugal", "Greektown" and "Koreatown", why don't you ever hear of "Little France?" or "Little Germany?" Thoughts?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home