Wednesday, May 21, 2008

So I've been reading Kwame Anthony Appiah's book on Cosmopolitanism. It's pretty good. I think I have come to fancy myself a cosmopolitan. It's strange. I was at a Jewish Studies conference on Nation, Diaspora and Landedness recently, and I realized that I don't really feel at home in America. I'm comfortable here, but I'm not American. I'm Canadian. Of course, I don't feel very Canadian either. I root for Canadian sports teams, I like poutine and building snowmen and speaking French with a Quebecois accent, but I'm not patriotic at all. I have a greater loyalty to Israel, and to the Jewish people more broadly, than I do to Canada or the United States. But though I'm a Zionist, I'm not Israeli either, and I'm not sure I'd really feel at home in Israel. So where does this leave me? It leaves me committed to a secular Jewish particularism, a left-wing supporter of the Israeli state but not an especially loyal citizen of anywhere. Am I a citizen of the world? I like all sorts of exotic foods, and appreciate all cultures. But I'm more of an appreciater than a real cosmopolitan. I love Celtic music, but I'm not Irish, not Celtic, and I somehow feel it would be illegitimate of me to be Celtic. I'm confused again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home